Thursday, March 26, 2009

Is the Drinking Water Safe in Panama?

Unlike many Latin American countries, the drinking water throughout Panama (rural and city) is crystal clear and safe to drink ... or at least it was still during the time of our visit in 2009. In fact, in my experience, it was better than the bottled water. Beyond guzzling, this made us feel assured about showering and brushing our teeth without fear.

Many restaurants will ask you if you want bottled water, but just ask them if the regular water is okay rather than paying for the pricey upgrade. I drank tap water at every restaurant we went to, and only drank bottled when were out, and my stomach didn't act up in the slightest. In fact, I was amazed at how relaxed my stomach was the entire trip. Neither of us had so much as a stomachache the entire time.

You might be wondering what makes Panama so special when it comes to water ... the Canal. I am not sure of the exact reason, but with the Canal and the U.S. occupation came clean drinking water for the country. A definite plus in my book.

Of course, when you arrive, check with the locals to make sure that nothing has changed and that the drinking water is still safe in the areas you visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment